Around 62 trillion spam messages are sent every year – let that sink in
I get a lot of people telling me that e-marketing is cleaner and better for the environment; but is it? As with everything, the answer is “depends”.
I must confess to not having spent hours analysing the science but one US study I saw noted the following:
- I must confess to not having spent hours analysing the science but one US study I saw noted the following:
- Average carbon cost of sending a letter by mail: 29 grams
- Average cost of a single email to a single recipient with no attachment: 4 grams
- Cost of the SAME email with a 1MB attachment: 19 grams
- If the email is replied to, forwarded, downloaded etc, this carbon cost goes UP
- If you are looking at Video online it costs 0.2 grams of carbon per second.
SO my message is this:
Nothing is totally free from carbon usage and no single marketing strategy is 100% effective. Look at all your options and consider the ROI. If you are focussed on your carbon footprint, consider the cost of electronic media alongside the paper-based alternative to get a “return on carbon”.
Admail is here to help with your marketing needs. Call us on 0800 236 245 or click on the link below.